If the air quality inside your home isn't up to snuff, you and your family can suffer from a variety of respiratory illnesses. Installing a high-quality air filter like Dust Goblin will make a dramatically decrease the amount of pet dander, mold spores, dust and pollen that lingers.
However, there is another way to improve the air quality that you may not even realize. Certain houseplants can actually remove dangerous air pollutants from indoor air making it easier for you and your family to breathe.
Back in 1989 NASA and the Associated Landscape Contractors of America were looking or a way to keep the air inside the space station clean.
They found that indoor plants can actually remove compounds like formaldehyde and benzene, which are cancer-causing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Subsequent research has also revealed that microorganisms that grow in the soil of potted plants also improve indoor air quality.
Seven Best Air-Cleaning Indoor Plants
Air quality can be improved by all plants but it's especially affected by large, leafy ones. They are natural air purifiers, and they also make your home look beautiful.
Here are seven of the very best indoor plants for improving your home's indoor air quality:
- Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata) - This plant is said to remove pollutants like formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene from indoor air. It's a pretty plant that can be hung in any room with indirect sunlight. It loves high humidity so you'll need to keep it well-watered.
- Snake Plant (Sansevieria rifasciata) - Effectively removes xylene, benzene, formaldehyde, toluene, and trichloroethylene from the air. It's also one of the few plants that converts carbon dioxide to oxygen at night. It's perfect for rooms that get low to moderate indirect light.
- Philodendron (Philodendron) - The heart-shaped leaves of this quick-growing houseplant are expert formaldehyde removers. It's extremely easy to grow, requiring only low levels of indirect light and moderate watering.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum 'Mauna Loa') - Another lover of low, indirect light, this plant has large, dark green leaves and white "flowers". It is a superb remover of benzene, trichloroethylene, xylene, formaldehyde, ammonia, and toluene from the air.
- Ficus/Weeping Fig (Ficus Benjamina) - This is a great low-maintenance houseplant that can grow up to 10 feet tall under the right conditions. Unlike most of the plants on this list, it loves bright, indirect light. It is an expert at removing benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene from the air.
- Draceana (Draceana spp.) - These beautiful plants come in more than 40 different variations and they're extremely easy to find and grow. They are toxic to dogs and cats, so be cautious about owning them. They're great at eliminating benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, and xylene from indoor air.
- Spider Plant (Cholorphytum Comosum "Vittatum") - This is, perhaps, one of the easiest houseplants of all to grow. It readily puts out "baby" plants on shoots and does well in low, indirect light. It's an excellent air cleaner and specializes in removing formaldehyde and xylene.
If you've got a nice big house, you might want to consider including all of the plants on this list into your interior decorating. They'll work hard every day to keep the air clean and breathable for you and your family. If you've got a tiny space with just a little indirect light coming in, just put one or two in and you'll be better off.
One Step Beyond
Houseplants are great, but if you truly want to ensure that your family is breathing the best indoor air possible, you need a Dust Goblin air filter. It's multi-layered fiber design not only inhibits microbial growth, but it also filters out five times the dust that standard pleated filters do.
That means all of the nasty little dust particles, mold spores, pollen, and pet dander won't be bothering anybody ever again. It'll keep your HVAC system from being over-worked too, which means you'll save money on your monthly utility bills and your unit won't need to be repaired as often.
If you're ready to take control of your family's health and conquer the monsters under your bed, contact us today. If you use a standard size filter, we've got you covered. If yours isn't available anywhere else, don't worry, we can help you too. We'll make a filter in any custom size and get it out to you within the week.